A Big Thing in a Small Package
As the name implies, the K-Mini™ is the smallest machine in the Keurig line of single-serve coffee makers. It comes as a demand for desktop coffee machines is on the rise.
It handles any regular K-cup pod and has no reservoir, making it an ideal travel companion.
Let’s get into the details to see if this is the right coffee maker for you.
Features of the Keurig K-Mini™ Coffee Maker
Type of Coffee Maker: Single-Serve
Mini is the key here. I guess “petite” is too cutesy. Either way, it has a very small footprint on your kitchen counter or your desk area. It’s easy to operate, too.
How to Use the Keurig K-Mini™
- Lifting the handle to the top lid is how the power is turned on.
- Measure out the amount of water you’d like from 6 to 12 ounces. The easiest way is to fill your mug with the right amount of water to match your coffee and pour it in.
- Put your mug underneath the dispenser. Any mug up to 7 inches tall will fit underneath the dispenser. Just remove the drip tray.
- Add your K-Cup in the round slot.
- Close the lid. The light will flash around it.
- Press the Brew button.
- The water will heat up in less than three minutes, your coffee will be dispensed into your mug.
- The machine shuts off 90 seconds after it finishes brewing your coffee.
The biggest complaint about the machine is how long it takes to brew the coffee. Keep in mind most Keurig machines take about 3 minutes just to heat the water to the proper brewing temperature. The K-Mini takes less than 2 minutes.
As long as there is water in their reservoir, larger coffee makers start heating the water as soon as you turn on the machine. The K-Mini doesn’t start heating the water you have poured in until you’ve hit the Brew button. It may seem like forever, but that’s because you really, really need a cup of coffee.
Type of Coffee Used: Keurig’s K-Cups
Any type of regular K-cup can be used. It doesn’t work with It won’t work with K-Carafe, K-Mug, Vue, or Rivo pods. You can use Keurig’s My K-Cup Universal Reusable Coffee Filters, too.
Whatever you put into it is what comes out. It will hold up to 12 ounces of water. This is what cinches the deal for a lot of people. If you take it along on a road trip, it dries out very quickly.
Number of Cups Can Brew at Once: One cup can which can be anywhere from 6 to 12 ounces of water.
Automatic Shut-off: Yes
The K-Mini is designed to shut off 90 seconds after the water has been dispensed.
Brew Strength Options: One
The strength of your coffee is completely dependent on how much water you add and the strength of the original coffee beans. K-Cups brew more quickly than pour overs and other methods. Because of this, the beans don’t have the time needed to bloom as fully as other coffee brewing methods. That’s the trade-off for quickly getting coffee into your cup.
Color: The K-Mini™ is available in several colors.
- Dreamy Blue
- Dusty Rose
- Studio Gray
The soft pastel colors are reminiscent of the shades of Buttermint candies.
Keurig K-Mini™ Colors
Power Failure Recovery: No
Other Features of Note
There’s a slot in the back to store the electrical cord. This is another plus for storing for travel.
How Much Counter Space Does it Use?
The Keurig K-Mini measures 4.5 width x 11.3 length x 12.1 inches high. The lid opens at the top. The height at that point is 16.8 inches. That’s pretty slim. It would fit on just about any coffee bar, too.
How Easy is the K-Mini to Clean?
There’s very little to do here except unplug it and wipe it down. Descale it more often than a normal machine. It tends to build up calcium deposits quickly.
Is a Keurig Mini worth It?
If you’re looking for a reliable single-serve coffee maker, yes.
Does a Keurig Mini make strong coffee?
The strength of your coffee will be determined by the amount of water you use.
How long do Keurig Minis last?
Based on other single serve coffee makers we have owned that were made by Keurig, we estimate it will last 5 to 8 years.
Can you use regular coffee with Keurig Mini?
Yes, if you use their My K-Cup Universal Reusable Coffee Filters.
Do all K-cups fit in Keurig Mini?
Most every type of K-Cup will work except the following cups and pods:
How can I use Keurig without pod?
Just pour the water in and skip adding a pod. Press the brew button and brew as usual.
What the Comments Say
Praises From Reviewers
- A lot of reviewers love it because there’s no reservoir, making it ideal for traveling and avoiding the possibility of creating a breeding ground for mold. It’s also great when you need hot water for tea or soup.
- People are wowed that you can get a cup of coffee in under two minutes.
- Many people who are downsizing love it. Older folks may have trouble dealing with larger appliances (think about the 70-somethings that work out with one pound hand weights). This little coffee machine is a treat for them.
Drawbacks to Consider
- Calcium seems to build faster on this model than others. For that reason, you’ll want to descale it more frequently than the usual once per month.
- 12 ounces isn’t always a big enough serving for some people. Also keep in mind that some people think it comes with a mug. It doesn’t.
We love the smaller size. Downsizing is a big deal and many people don’t need a full sized coffee maker with a multiple cup reservoir.
We also like that the coffee brews hot and fast.
The color options are great. My sister loves the color pink and she needs a new coffee maker. What a great Christmas gift.
Yes, you’ll have to provide your own coffee mug, but that’s a small price to pay for speed and convenience.
We definitely recommend the Keurig K-Mini. We want one for every room in the home.
Resources for the Keurig K-Mini
How to Clean
If the brew time slows down or the amount of coffee you’re getting doesn’t match the amount of water you put in, it’s time to descale it.
Also, check to see if the dispensing holes are starting to get clogged. You can release coffee grounds with a toothpick or dental pick. Don’t put any metal needles or paperclips in the opening until after you have unplugged the machine.
One of the biggest complaints is that the machine stops working after a couple of months. If you have been descaling it and it happens anyway, just call their service number.
You’ll need the S/N number found printed on the sticker that’s on the bottom of the coffee maker.
Call the service number 1-213-9100 and tell them it stopped working. They’ll ask for that S/N number and ship a replacement to you, usually within a week.